One of the most common problems associated with a project is the over-allocation of a company’s resources. Resource over-allocation can affect many projects across a project portfolio. Herein lays the problem. If one project is behind schedule because of poor resource management, then all of the projects in the portfolio are going to be affected. A project that does not meet it’s forecasted completion date is a project that is going to cost a lot of money in liquidated damages. Primavera P6 Release 8.2 has a very useful dashboard portlet to help you avoid over allocating your resources!
Over-allocated Resources portlet in Primavera Software Release 8 dashboard
Successful Project Management requires balancing the triple constraints of Schedule, Resources, and Costs. Primavera P6 Release 8’s dashboard provides many tools to facilitate effective Resource Management. There are three steps that one must consider when managing resources.
- The first step in effective Resource Management is to identify those resources that are over-allocated.
- The next step is to identify when those over-allocations occur.
- Then it is critical to identify the activities contributing to the over-allocation so that intelligent decisions can be made to correct the problem.
These steps can all be performed in the Over- allocated Resources portlet. This portlet can be accessed from the Project Workspace in the Primavera software web tool. This portlet identifies resources that are over-allocated in the currently opened project and enables the user to review the projects and activities that are contributing to the over-allocation. Click on the link below to learn how to use the Over-allocated Resource portlet in Primavera P6 Release 8.
Identifying and correcting resource over-allocation in Primavera software
There are four steps in solving the problem of resource over allocation.
- Replace the over-allocated resource with an available resource
- Increase the resource’s workweek
- Increase the hours per day that the resource works
- Assign additional resources to the activity
Effective resource management is a huge factor in the success or failure of a project. Planners and schedulers, project managers and project controls professionals all need to understand that they do not have to struggle with effective resource management if they are using Primavera software. Do you need an overview of resource management in Primavera P6 Release 7? Click on the link below to access our free resource management video guide in Primavera P6 Release 7.